How to Deal with Nasal Congestion in Newborns?
1. Warm and wet towel: If the nasal mucosa is congested and swollen due to cold and other conditions, use a warm and wet towel on the root of the nose, which can play a certain role in relieving.
2. Nose drops: If the effect is not satisfactory, use 0.5% ephedrine nose drops, one drop per side. Use each time before breastfeeding to improve the ventilation during breastfeeding. Use 3-4 times a day, not too many times, because too much use may cause drug rhinitis.
3. Breast milk nose drops: If the blockage is caused by secretions, you can put a drop of breast milk into the baby’s nasal cavity and wait for the secretions to soften and discharge themselves. You can also use a fine cotton swab with a little water to probe into the nostrils and gently rotate, the nasal secretions will be rolled and dragged out with the cotton swab. If the nasal secretion has become a hard crust, gently poke the hard crust with the cotton swab so that the dry secretion can be separated from the nasal mucosa, so that the nasal secretion can move back and forth with breathing, creating an itchy sensation and stimulating the baby to sneeze, and the dry secretion can be discharged from the nasal cavity with breathing.
4. Nasal aspirator: the mother can regularly use a nasal aspirator for the baby to suck away nasal water and mucus, but not too hard, gently suck on it.
5. Diligent cleaning and hygiene: to reduce allergens at home, parents should change the bedsheets and vacuum often, these can reduce the baby’s nasal allergy.
If after trying these methods, the baby still has serious nasal congestion or even bruising, you should go to the hospital in time.
What is the Cause of Nasal Congestion in Newborns?
1. The immune function is not sound: a baby was just born, the body has not yet adapted, poor resistance, immune function is not sound. Once you do not pay attention to keep warm, will be easy to suffer from colds and other diseases.
2. Physiological structure factors: newborn baby’s maxilla and cranial bone development are incomplete, the nose and nasal cavity are relatively short; nasal cavity nasal hair is sparse; nasal mucosa is tender, blood vessels, lymphatic tissue is relatively rich adults, etc… Once encountered with cold air and airflow containing more bacteria, can directly stimulate the nasopharynx, so that the nasopharynx vascular mucosa congestion and swelling, nasal secretions increase and crust, so that the original has been narrow nasal cavity more narrow, or even occlusion, and then reduce the amount of oxygen inhalation, carbon dioxide discharge obstructed.
3. Disease factors: newborn nasal congestion is common in the upper respiratory tract infection. Second, the nasal cavity itself, such as nasal polyps, nasal septum curvature, nasal foreign body or tumor, etc. can make the baby nasal congestion. Certain allergic reactions can also cause nasal congestion.
4. Drug factors: certain drugs can also cause congestion and swelling of the nasal mucosa and lead to nasal congestion, such as pregnant mothers taking the antihypertensive drug reserpine, which can cause nasal congestion in newborn babies.